Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What play are they doing this time?

I just watched the end of Moulin Rouge and had a good cry.  I love that movie very devotedly, and I'm having a little bit of a hard summer.

But Molly and her theatrical pursuits always cheer me up.
Lovely Erin, camp director makes sure Molly has Ancient Greek-style sandals
Every year, our children participate in the Backyard Broadway drama camp.  I can't express how much I love it.  This year, the impresarios are hosting it three times, and Molly is doing the camp every time.  We have been participating for 4 years now.  Roland sat out last year, but missed it, and will do it again one time this summer.
Associate director Anna fixes Molly's toga
This session the play was Jason's Quest for the Golden Fleece.  Molly initially wanted the lead role (who had a solo), but when she tried to sing the song for the part, she didn't really know it already.  She felt sad, and I sympathized, but explained to her that:

If she always played the biggest part, no one else would want to come to drama camp.

I also felt consoled that the lead female was Medea, who is the worst mother in all mythology, which is quite a distinction.  The ugly details of infanticide were left out of the script that Erin wrote, but still!
Instead she played her second choice Pollux a twin daughter of Zeus, who is one of the Argonauts.
She was excited, because Pollux gets a few laughs.

She really seems to be emoting here!
The musical choices were fun.  The kids sang 'Hey, Hey We're the Argos!' to the tune of the 'Monkee's song.  They sang "With cat-like tread, upon our prey we steal" from Pirates of Penzance which was pretty cute and funny as they were loudly trying to steal something from some king or other.
Almost all productions at this venue seem to involve some sword play.
 Molly's comedic timing seems to be improving, as she started one of her lines 'Aww...Group hug!' while there was still some commotion on stage, so she waited a beat, and repeated it for maximum laughs.
And then the batteries died.  So...the end!

1 comment: