Roland is having a good year at school. His teacher is nice, and fun, he gets to do 5th grade math since he's in a split, and she is reading them the Margaret Peterson Haddix books 'The Missing' Series. I am a big fan of hers, and Roland really wanted the book 3 from the book fair this December.
I am so grateful that he has caught fire about reading the last several months. He has been caught doing some unauthorized post bedtime reading that while naughty, is the kind of naughtiness I can secretly get behind. While reading his Haddix book he has read some others, including Tom Sawyer, which he really loved and burned through quickly. Wesley and I both loved the book as kids, so we all bonded a little.
I have noticed that I get something now. I used to hear about friends reading books that their kids were reading. I'd wonder 'why?' 'Why waste valuable reading time on a book someone else has chosen?' Now that Roland is older, I have to put a little effort into connecting with him, having things in common with him (besides chores and his siblings!) I recently checked out a book just to be able to talk with him about it (and also encourage this reading surge). I really get it now.
How fun to bond over reading! I'm always torn between reading books with Eleanor or reading ones that are candidates for her to read and reading books for myself. I've also found that I missed out on a bunch of cool books that are at her level and I've forgotten all the ones I did read. There just isn't enough time in the world for good books!!
ReplyDelete